Avocado Egg Salad Recipe is incredibly light, delicious and creamy without mayo. Simple to make in only 20 minutes, this healthy salad recipe is perfect for a nutritious lunch or picnic!
Table of Contents
It is creamy, chunky, and with a hint of garlic. The Ukrainian in me just couldn’t resist including garlic! I always add some to guacamole too and it’s so good.
For texture and flavor, there is crunchy red onion, chopped fresh dill or parsley, and fresh lemon juice. Which not only gives this salad with eggs and avocado some tang, but prevents the avocado from browning too quickly.
Ingredients You Will Need
Avocado egg salad recipe gets its creaminess from the avocado and avocado only! So hold the mayo and even the Greek yogurt, grab a bowl and let’s do this.
- Ripe avocados: Good avocados to mash for egg salad are avocados that are dark green and a bit soft to the touch. Soft avocados with brown skin are over ripen.
- Eggs: 8 large eggs or 10 medium hard boiled eggs. See my favorite methods below!
- Red onion and garlic: Red onion adds a nice zest to sweet and creamy avocado. And I always add fresh garlic to almost everything. It’s so good and all you need is a tiny clove!
- Lemon juice or vinegar: My preference is fresh lemon juice but any light colored vinegar like white or red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or white vinegar works.
- Fresh herbs: If you don’t have any, it is fine. But a little bit of finely chopped dill, parsley, chives or even cilantro adds another layer of flavor.
How to Make Avocado Egg Salad
Once you hard boiled the eggs, this avocado egg salad comes together very quickly in only 10 minutes. Perfect for when lunchtime rolls arounds!
Hard boil the eggs: There are three methods I use to hard boil eggs for salad. While the stove top method is most often used, Instant Pot hard boiled eggs or hard boiled eggs in air fryer are my other two favorite ways. After your hard boiled eggs are cooled, peel them and set aside.
Prep avocados: Cut avocado in half, remove the pit with a knife and “cut” and scoop avocado from its shell with a tablespoon into a large bowl.
This makes mashing so much easier. Follow our step by step how to cut an avocado for detailed directions.
Season and mash avocados: Add lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and then mash with a fork but leave it chunky.
This is your “salad dressing”.
Chop eggs: Cut eggs into whatever size you like. I like my egg avocado salad more chunky, so each egg half is cut in the middle lengthwise and then 4 more cuts to make 8 pieces.
Add to the bowl with mashed avocado.
Combine everything: To the bowl, add red onion and fresh herbs. Stir gently until well mixed and voila.
Just like with my easy avocado salad, I love this salad for its simplicity. But I understand that everyone may love their healthy avocado egg salad with additional texture and seasonings:
- Feel free to add pickles or celery for crunch.
- Use Dijon mustard or yellow mustard for more bite.
- Add hot sauce for a little kick of heat, yum!
- Miss mayo? I thought I would too but I didn’t. But feel free to add 1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise or plain yogurt.
- For acid any light vinegar or even lime juice works.
- Additional protein like tuna or Instant Pot shredded chicken are nice lean choices.
Serving egg salad with avocado is fun! Easiest is to serve on a bed of zesty arugula for a low carb option, like I do in the photo below.
A popular midday option is to make an avocado egg salad sandwich with whole grain toast or pair with some whole grain crackers.
I also love serving this side dish during grill season with grilled chicken breast for a light and easy dinner.
Can I Make It Ahead?
Yes. To save time, meal prep your hard boiled eggs and store until ready to use in the refrigerator. You could also mince red onion and chop fresh herbs up to a day in advance.
How Long Does It Last?
How long does avocado egg salad recipe last is a very good question. Because we all know avocado turns brown once it comes into close contact with oxygen.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Because there is lemon juice, salad should be good for 24 hours. After that it might start browning but it is still delicious and safe to eat.
After 2 days, I will leave that up to your discretion!
And of course, please do not freeze. Enjoy!
More Avocado and Egg Recipes to Try
- Avocado deviled eggs
- Deviled eggs
- Tuna egg salad
- Avocado toast recipe
- Chicken egg salad
- Chickpea avocado salad
- Chicken avocado salad
- Tuna avocado salad
You might also want to browse these healthy salad recipes!
Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
- Into a medium bowl, scoop avocado from a shell with a tablespoon in portions. Add lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and then mash with a fork but leave it chunky.
- Chop eggs to your preference, coarsely or finely, and add them along with red onion and dill to the bowl with mashed avocado. Gently stir with a spoon until combined.
- Serve immediately on whole grain toast, with whole foods crackers, in a lettuce wrap or on bed of arugula.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days. It will start browning on day 2 but is safe to eat.
- Make ahead: Cook hard boiled eggs, mince red onion and chop herbs up to a day in advance. Then refrigerate.
- Fresh herbs: If you don’t have fresh herbs like dill or parsley, you can omit it.
- Additions: Diced celery, dill pickle, mustard or a tiny bit of mayo could be added if you prefer.