In this Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes recipe juicy, tender meatloaf and creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes cook at same time in an electric pressure cooker. It’s classic comfort food at its best!
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Ingredients for Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- How to Make Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Tips for Best Results
- Can I Make Meatloaf in Instant Pot Using Foil?
- What to Serve with Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes?
- How to Store and Reheat
- More Instant Pot Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Recipe
This meatloaf in Instant Pot comes out mind blowing and kids gobble it up. I just love healthy Instant Pot recipes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy: You will skip turning on the oven, stove and washing a few bowls. You mix, cook, slice and serve entire dinner in same 2 pans in your Instant Pot! You can even refrigerate leftovers in the same 2 pans. And then reheat them in the same 2 pans in Instant Pot.
- Juicy meatloaf: Meatloaf can be made with any ground meat and it always comes out juicy thanks to captured steam inside.
- Creamy mashed potatoes: Mashed potatoes in Instant Pot always come out extra tender and creamy.
- It can be made ahead: You can make it in the morning and press Keep Warm for hot dinner later. I often make it on the weekend and go shopping.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
There are two parts to the ingredients for this Instant Pot meatloaf recipe – for meatloaf and for mashed potatoes.
For the meatloaf you will need:
- Ground meat: Use ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork or ground turkey like me. It turns out delicious either way. For red meat, I recommend to go for extra lean ground beef or ground pork.
- Egg: For binding meatloaf ingredients. You can try to replace it with one flax egg or chia egg.
- Oats: We use oats in place of breadcrumbs (forgot to picture it). I like to use rolled oats but you can also use quick oats, quick cooking steel cut oats or even steel cut oats. You can use equal amount of regular breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs as well.
- Garlic powder: To add flavor. Onion powder works just as well.
- Dried oregano: For more flavor. Also use your favorite dried herbs like dried thyme, dried basil or Italian seasoning.
- Salt and pepper
- Ketchup: For the glaze. I like to keep meatloaf recipe simple and it turns out delicious!
For the mashed potatoes you will need:
- Potatoes: Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes are the best choice for mashed potatoes since you don’t have to peel them, just cut into large chunks. You can also use russet potatoes but be sure to peel first.
- Water: Cold water to cook the potatoes in.
- Milk: Classic ingredient to make mashed potatoes creamy. I use whole milk but any milk works.
- Butter: To add another layer of flavor and creaminess to the potatoes. You can also use ghee.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Instant Pot Meatloaf
To cook meatloaf and mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot, I’m using these two stainless steel pans. They are stackable, fit 6 quart and 8 quart Instant Pots and you can buy them on Amazon.
But don’t worry, if you don’t have them, below I share how to cook meatloaf with tin foil.
While this Instant Pot meatloaf recipe might seem hard and labor intensive, I assure you it’s one of the easiest Instant Pot recipes! There is also detailed recipe card with video below.
- Prep the potatoes: To the bottom pan, add chopped into large pieces potatoes and cold water.
- Prep the meatloaf: To the top pan, add ground meat of choice, egg, oats and spices. Mix with your hands and shape meat mixture into oval or round shape. Do not add water.
- Close and stack the pans: Stack the pans with meatloaf on top, making sure the lids cover them tightly. Then secure the easy-lift handle around them.
- Cook meatloaf and potatoes: Into 6 quart or 8 quart Instant Pot, add 1 cup cold water. Pressure cook on High Pressure for 25 minutes. You will either press Manual or Pressure Cook button. After release pressure right away, called Quick Release, by turning the valve to Venting position.
- Open the pans: They are hot and full of steam, so do it carefully wearing the oven mitts.
- Bottom pan with potatoes: Drain water. Add butter, milk, salt and pepper and mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Top pan with meatloaf: Squirt some ketchup on top and spread with a mini spatula or pastry brush.
That’s it! Your Instant Pot meatloaf and mashed potatoes are ready! As an option, you can place the meatloaf on a baking sheet and broil under the oven’s broiler to brown the top.
Tips for Best Results
- Do not overwork the meat: When mixing the meat mixture, mix just enough to combine. Otherwise, your meatloaf might turn out tough and rubbery.
- If you would like to use 2 pounds of meat: The question I get asked the most about this Instant Pot meatloaf recipe. I would recommend to shape it into a round shape instead of oval shape to make sure it cooks through. Pressure cooking time will not change.
- To cut recipe in half: Cut all ingredients in half but keep same cooking time. Just use same 1 cup of cold water added to the bottom of pressure cooker.
- With 3 quart Instant Pot: You will need to use smaller mini pans or the foil method. Use half the amount of ingredients, keeping the same cook time.
- If using ground beef or pork: If the meat you use is not lean, I recommend to drain the extra fat from the pan after cooking the meatloaf.
Can I Make Meatloaf in Instant Pot Using Foil?
If you do not have or do not wish to buy stainless steel pans, you can use aluminum foil to cook meatloaf and potatoes in Instant Pot. You will create “a pan” for the meatloaf to place on top of the potatoes.
Here is a quick photo visual with instructions:
- Add potatoes: Add chopped potatoes and cold water in the Instant Pot.
- Place trivet on top: Then put trivet that came with Instant Pot on top of the potatoes. Doesn’t matter if it has handles or not.
- Shape meatloaf in a foil “pan”: Mix and form meat mixture into an oval meatloaf on top of double layered foil and then shape foil into “a bowl”.
- Pressure cook: Cook as per recipe.
If you prefer not to cook with foil for health reasons, you can use an oven proof baking pan or stainless steel bowl that fits your Instant Pot for the meatloaf. It does not have to be covered. A few readers have successfully tested this method.
What to Serve with Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes?
While this is a one pot dinner, adding a few colorful vegetable side dishes is always a good idea!
If you have time, try your hand in making Ukrainian garlic bread.
How to Store and Reheat
Store: Refrigerate leftovers in the same pans you cooked meatloaf and potatoes in for up to 2 days. Or transfer them into two separate airtight containers.
I personally find that mashed potatoes do not taste fresh after 2 days but you can store them another 1-2 days, if you wish.
Reheat: I recommend to slice leftover meatloaf for even reheating. To reheat, pop covered stainless steel pans into the Instant Pot, add 1 cup water and press Pressure Cook or Manual button for 1 minute.
Or reheat in a microwave for 2 minutes, check back and see if it needs more time.
The best way to know if your meatloaf is ready, is to insert an instant read meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meatloaf. If it registers at least 155 degrees F, your meatloaf is ready. Meatloaf will continue cooking with residual heat while you apply the ketchup glaze and mash the potatoes, and reach recommended as per USDA safe for consumption internal temperature of 160 F.
If using stackable pans, you could double the meatloaf amount but not the potatoes because they will not fit into the pan. You can also cook double the amount of potatoes like in the foil method, then place metal pan with meatloaf on top (some people, like me, do not love cooking with foil for health reasons).
If using the foil method, you can double both the meatloaf and the potatoes. Pressure cooking time remains the same.
If you would like to add some vegetables to make it a complete meal, I recommend to add baby carrots or simply sliced chunks of carrots around the foil bowl with the meatloaf. I find other vegetables will come out extremely overcooked during the 25 minutes of pressure cooking.
You can freeze the meatloaf in an airtight container or freezer safe bag for up to 3 months. I recommend to freeze it whole, so it stays juicy. As a general rule of thumb, potatoes do not freeze well as they change their texture.
I think so. You can follow my slow cooker turkey meatloaf recipe instructions. You can also add cubed potatoes with 1 cup of water to the bottom of slow cooker and then place meatloaf mixture in parchment paper or foil on top.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot chicken and potatoes
- Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff
- Instant Pot meatballs
- Instant Pot pork chops
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
For the Meatloaf (Top Pan):
How to Make Meatloaf in Stackable Pans
- Top pan: Add ground turkey, egg, oats, balsamic vinegar, dried herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Using your hands mix well. Shape meat mixture into oval or round meatloaf shape. Do not add water.
- Place lid on a pan with meatloaf. Then stack it on top of pan with potatoes. You want top pan to sit comfortably. If too many potatoes, remove some and save in a bowl with cold water for another recipe.
- Into 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot, add 1 cup water. Place both pans in a trivet (sling) that came with pans, secure it and place inside Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, set pressure release valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High Pressure or Manual for 25 minutes. After release pressure using Quick Release method – turn valve to Venting immediately after cooking.
- With a mitt on, remove pans from Instant Pot on a towel and open them.
- Bottom pan with potatoes: Drain the water and add butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash.
- Top pan with meatloaf: Squirt some ketchup on top and spread with a mini spatula or brush. Slice meatloaf right in a pan and serve!
How to Make Meatloaf Using Foil
- Potatoes: Place potatoes and water at the bottom of Instant Pot. Then put trivet that came with Instant Pot on top. Doesn't matter if it has handles or not.
- Meatloaf: And then shape meat mixture into a meatloaf on top of double layered foil and then shape foil into a bowl. Place on a trivet.
- Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual button for 25 minutes. After release the pressure immediately.
- Drain and mash potatoes with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Glaze loaf with ketchup. Slice and enjoy!
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in the same pans for up to 2 days. Or transfer to an airtight container. Mashed potatoes do not taste fresh after 2 days.
- Reheat: Slice loaf for even reheating. To reheat, pop covered stainless steel pans in Instant Pot, add 1 cup water and press Pressure Cook or Manual for 1 minute. Or reheat in a microwave for 2 minutes, check back and see if it needs more time.