Table of Contents
This healthy ranch dressing recipe is creamy, flavorful and takes 10 minutes to prep. Not to mention, it is also protein packed!
Homemade healthy ranch is lower in calories, lower in fat, and lower in sodium compared to the store-bought ranch. Even ones that are “healthy” have a long list of questionable ingredients that I personally do not find delicious.
This versatile healthy ranch dressing recipe will be your new go to healthy salad dressing, perfect for meal prep! Keep it in your fridge up to 7 days!
Healthy Ranch Dressing Ingredients
Homemade healthy ranch dressing recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients! It’s naturally gluten free and you can customize it to what you have on hand.
- Greek yogurt or plain yogurt: Any of these two base ingredients work in this salad dressing. Higher fat content yogurt 2% and up will yield creamier dressing but you can use 0% fat Greek yogurt or fat free plain yogurt if you wish.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is added to taste and has more garlic-y flavor. Garlic powder has more subtle flavor which would be better for a meal prep lunch for the office lunches.
- Onion powder: Gives it that authentic ranch dressing taste!
- Fresh dill: Or 2 teaspoons of dried dill would work. Not as good as fresh herbs but you will get desired flavor pretty close. You can also use fresh parsley or fresh chives.
- Sugar: Sugar offsets acidity and sourness of yogurt a bit. You can use maple syrup or honey but I personally love real sugar taste in dressings and salads.
- Salt and pepper: Freshly cracked pepper makes all the difference in cooking, especially with the ranch dressing.
How to Make Healthy Ranch Dressing
This homemade healthy ranch dressing is very simple to make by combining all your ingredients in one jar. I love to use a Mason jar because you can just screw on a lid and shake it all together, so easy!
Combine: In a small jar with lid, add yogurt, water (add only if using Greek yogurt), vinegar, dill, garlic, onion powder, sugar, salt and pepper.
Stir and let sit a bit: Stir with a fork or shake the jar well. Let your healthy ranch sit 5 minutes for flavors to “marry” each other and stir again. Ready to serve!
How to Store
Homemade healthy ranch dressing will keep fresh for up to 7 days in the fridge, but I doubt it will last that long!
And like with any refrigerated food, I prefer to use glass containers to store this salad dressing because the food will not absorb plastic’s chemicals and flavors. Makes all the difference for taste!
Stir or shake before each use. Yogurt tends to thicken on the walls of the container.
Ways to Enjoy Healthy Ranch Dressing
The unique flavor of homemade healthy ranch dressing goes with just about anything! Below are salad recipes in which you can swap the dressing for this healthy ranch.
You can also use this ranch dressing as a dip or condiment to these dinner mains.
Try adding a few blue cheese crumbles to the dressing when pairing it with foods containing buffalo sauce, so good!
Less than desirable ingredients including added sugar, processed oils, and many other additives make store bought ranch not the best choice!
If you compare nutritional info serving to serving, I promise you will be stunned as I was.
Calories: 30 vs. 226.
Fat: 1 vs. 15
Sodium: 213 vs. 656.
Add a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar if you love ranch dressing with more tang.
Sure. Use plain dairy free yogurt the taste of which you like.
Sure. Feel free to use buttermilk to make this healthy ranch dressing. In that case, omit water.
Yes, you can add 1-2 tablespoons mayo to make this healthy ranch taste more like everyone’s favorite Hidden Valley ranch.
More Healthy Salad Dressing Recipes
- Poppy seed dressing
- Raspberry vinaigrette
- Avocado cilantro dressing
- Healthy honey mustard dressing
- Healthy Caesar dressing
- Spinach salad dressing
- Balsamic vinaigrette
Healthy Ranch Dressing
- In a small jar with lid, add yogurt , water (Greek yogurt only), vinegar, dill, garlic, onion powder, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir with a fork or shake the jar well. Let sit 5 minutes for flavors to "marry" each other and stir again.
- Serve over any salad of your choice.
- Store: Refrigerate in a jar for up to 7 days.
- More subtle garlic taste: Use garlic powder.
- Dried dill weed: Use 2 tsp dried dill weed if you are unable to source fresh dill.
- More creamy yogurt: Higher fat content yogurt 2% and up will yield creamier dressing. You can use 0% yogurt if you wish.