Avocado Corn Salad with fresh corn, cucumber, tomato, avocado and hint of lime dressing is one of those summer salad recipes that disappears fast at any gathering. It’s tasty, refreshing and easy side dish!
Table of Contents
This avocado corn salad is delicious, refreshing, has a hint of lime in every bite and is absolutely fantastic without cilantro but rather with green onion. Naked truth I discovered with this avocado salad recipe.
It’s a perfect salad for a hot summer day, only akin to this cucumber tomato avocado salad, which is on repeat, too!
I have been dreaming to make a fresh corn tomato avocado salad for years. I just didn’t know how to cook corn. When I was little in Ukraine, we boiled corn but never did we grill it and then cut off the cob.
Once I learned how to make Instant Pot corn on the cob though, there was no turning back! Now we make this avocado corn salad and fancy Mexican street corn salad, and even chicken and corn. Fresh and flavorful, sweet corn just screams summertime when used in summer salads or alongside a turkey burger.
Ingredients in Avocado Corn Salad
This ingredient list may be short, but it doesn’t skimp on flavor! Each bite of avocado corn salad is so flavorful from the freshness of each vegetable or fruit.
- Corn: You can use fresh corn or frozen corn. Fresh corn is great during summer months but in winter I rely heavily on a giant bag of frozen organic corn from Costco for $12. I would not recommend to use canned corn because your corn avocado salad just won’t taste the same.
- Cucumber and tomatoes: Baby cucumbers and grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes look pretty, are often more tasty than many large ones and affordable during summer months. But English cucumber and regular tomatoes chopped into same size smaller pieces work just as well.
- Avocado: When picking avocado, look for brown skin fruit that is firm but gives in to the touch. Amazing creaminess! I would not use frozen avocado, though.
- Lime juice and zest, green onion, olive oil, salt and pepper is a simple corn avocado salad dressing. Red onion is an excellent ingredient swap if you are out of green onions!
How to Cook Corn on the Cob
There are many ways to cook corn for this avocado corn salad, use whichever method you prefer!
- Grill: Grill corn without the husk on medium heat for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so.
- Instant Pot corn on the cob: 2 minutes under high pressure and corn is ready. To be honest, this is my favorite way to cook corn now. So easy!
- Corn on the cob in crock pot: Add corn and 1 cup of cold water to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low heat for 5-6 hours or on High heat for 2-3 hours.
- Microwave: Lovely reader, Connie, suggested to microwave corn. Thank you! Cut off the end, put in the microwave with the husk still on and cook for 4 minutes. After you can pick it up by the end and it will slide out of the husk.
Growing up, we rubbed ear of steaming corn with butter and it melted in front of our eyes. Then we sprinkled corn with salt and sank teeth into it, burning our little mouths.
These days I prefer my corn in this corn avocado salad!
How to Make Avocado Corn Salad
This avocado corn salad recipe it so refreshing and goes with just about anything!
Prep corn: Cook corn as per one of three methods listed above either on grill, Instant Pot or microwave. Let it cool and then cut off kernels from the cob.
If you would like to use frozen corn, place it in a colander into a bowl with hot water for a few minutes and then drain thoroughly.
Combine all ingredients: To a large mixing bowl, add cooked corn, cucumber, tomato, diced avocado (learn how to cut an avocado), green onion, lime zest and fresh lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. No need to make dressing separately.
Stir gently: Avocado is a delicate fruit. So stir gently to avoid turning it into a mush. If your avocado is very soft, I recommend to stir avocado corn salad without it first and then add it in and give just a few stirs.
Corn tomato avocado salad can be served immediately or you can chill it in the fridge until serving to let flavors combine.
Sure! I prefer not to dirty another bowl, but you can whisk it together in a small jar or bowl then pour desired amount over avocado corn salad.
Technically, no. You can use raw corn, it is both safe and delicious. Raw corn can be harder to digest though, and when it is cooked it both softens and starts the breakdown process, which may help aid digestion.
Can I Substitute Frozen Corn for Fresh Corn?
Yes! This is a great choice for a year round avocado corn salad.
To use frozen corn, thaw first in warm water, then drain in a colander. Proceed with recipe as directed.
How to Serve Avocado Corn Salad
Here are my favorite proteins to pair corn avocado salad with any time of the year:
- 5 chicken marinades to marinate chicken breasts or chicken thighs for as little as 30 minutes.
- Baked salmon in foil has very simple seasoning that pairs well.
- Shrimp tacos takes 15 minutes to make and would be perfect for a healthy dinner.
- Grilled chicken breast is another simple ingredients recipe that pairs well.
- Grilled BBQ chicken breast
If it is summer and you are grilling, serve with fresh tortilla chips on the side to dip this corn tomato avocado salad into!
How to Store
Avocado corn salad is so refreshingly addictive, I doubt it lasts past day one!
To Store: Corn avocado salad leftovers keep refrigerated for about one day. After that, juices from vegetables, fruit, and dressing will start to make the salad very watery.
To Make Ahead: Add all ingredients, except avocado, to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Add diced avocado and stir right before serving.
More Summer Salad Recipes
- Mexican kale salad with avocado dressing
- Mexican bean salad
- Chicken avocado salad
- Mango black bean salad
- Tomato mozzarella avocado salad
- Spinach avocado salad
- Avocado egg salad
- Black bean and corn salsa
- Creamy cucumber salad
Looking for more ideas? Check out most popular healthy salad recipes and enjoy!
Avocado Corn Salad
- 3 ears of corn 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 lb mini cucumbers or 1 large English cucumber sliced
- 1 lb grape/cherry tomatoes cut in halves or regular size, chopped
- 3 medium-large avocados cubed
- 3 green onion sprigs finely chopped
- 1 lime zest and juice of
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- To cook corn:°Grill: Remove corn from the husk and grill on medium heat for 20 mins or so, turning every 5 mins.°Instant Pot corn on the cob – so easy!!!°Microwave: Remove the end and microwave with husk on for 4 minutes. After you can pick it up by the end and it will slide out of the husk.°Frozen corn: Place in a colander into a bowl with hot water for a few minutes and then drain thoroughly.
- To remove cooked corn kernels off the cob, hold cob vertically with narrow tip down on a cutting board and using a chef’s knife cut them off in “stripes”.
- In a large salad bowl, add corn, cucumber, tomato, avocado, green onion, lime zest and juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 1 day.
- Make ahead: Add all ingredients, except avocado, to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Add diced avocado and stir right before serving.