Make Cottage Cheese Ice Cream at home with just 2 ingredients, plus your choice of add-ins. It’s a high protein with 10 grams of protein, naturally sweetened dessert that’s creamy and delicious!
We also love these viral frozen banana snickers!
Table of Contents
- Why You Will Love Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Recipe
- Ingredients for Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- How to Make Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Banana Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Chocolate Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Strawberry Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Cookies and Cream Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Tips for Best Results
- Topping Ideas
- How to Store
- More Ice Cream Recipes to Try
- More Cottage Cheese Recipes
- Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Recipe
The sun is hot which means ice cream requests are happening daily. I made the viral cottage cheese ice cream recipe and it was a huge hit! It’s so easy to make with 5 minutes prep time and no churning.
Cottage cheese is having a big moment right now and this healthy TikTok ice cream has a soft, creamy texture you’ll love.
You can add flavor in so many ways, I am sharing 6 combos today that are refreshingly delicious!
Why You Will Love Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Recipe
- Rich and filling: A thick and creamy frozen treat that’s loaded with protein.
- So easy to make: Just blend cottage cheese with a liquid sweetener and freeze, no ice cream maker needed.
- Not just dessert: It’s healthy, low-fat, and packed with protein so you can enjoy it as dessert, a high-protein snack, or even breakfast.
- Endless flavor options: Make cottage cheese ice cream into your favorite flavor, find a new favorite through experimenting, or set up an ice cream bar, the combinations are infinite!
Ingredients for Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
You only need 2 simple ingredients for this basic cottage cheese ice cream recipe.
- Cottage cheese: Adds plenty of protein and creamy texture. I used 2% cottage cheese, I usually have Organic Meadow or No Name in my fridge depending where I’ve shopped.
- Honey: For sweetness. I liked cottage cheese ice cream with honey more, as maple syrup adds a more strong prominent taste. But you can use any.
How to Make Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Here’s a quick step-by-step overview of how to make homemade cottage cheese ice cream.
There is a full recipe card for all detailed variations below.
- Blend: Add cottage cheese and honey to a high speed blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Mix add-ins: Add flavorings of choice to the cottage cheese mixture. You can add to the blender and pulse until combined, or just mix them in as pictured above with chocolate chips.
- Freeze: Scoop ice cream with cottage cheese into an airtight glass container, close with the lid, and freeze for 4-6 hours or until frozen.
- Thaw and serve: Remove from freezer and thaw for 15-30 minutes, scoop into bowls and enjoy!
Banana Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Blend: In a high speed blender or food processor, add cottage cheese, honey, and peeled banana. Blend until smooth. I recommend ripened banana for best taste, you can also use frozen bananas.
- Transfer: Pour blended cottage cheese into a glass container with tightly secured lid.
- Freeze: Store in freezer until frozen, usually 4-6 hours.
- Thaw: Let cottage cheese ice cream thaw for 15 – 30 minutes for easy scooping.
Chocolate Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Blend: Combine cottage cheese, honey and 3 tablespoons cacao powder in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Add chocolate chunks: Stir in chopped chocolate bar, this can be done in the food processor or in a container.
- Freeze: Transfer chocolate ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 4-6 hours.
- Thaw: Allow 15-30 minutes thawing time before serving.
Strawberry Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Blend: Add cottage cheese, honey and hulled strawberries together and blend until smooth.
- Add cookies: In the food processor or a container, stir in the biscoff cookies.
- Freeze: Transfer to an airtight glass container, place lid on top, and place in the freezer. Freezing takes 4-6 hours.
- Thaw: Remove from freezer, thaw cottage cheese ice cream on counter for 15-30 minutes, and serve.
Cookies and Cream Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Blend: Add cottage cheese to a high speed blender or food processor together with honey and process until smooth.
- Add oreos: Add cookies, whole or broken up, to the mixture and give a few pulses, depending how chunky you want them.
- Freeze: Place cookies and cream ice cream in a sealed freezer-safe container, and freeze for 4-6 hours.
- Thaw: At room temperature for up to 30 minutes, scoop, and enjoy!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Blend: In your high speed blender or food processor, blend cottage cheese, honey, peanut butter, and cacao powder until thick and creamy.
- Add chocolate and pretzels: Chop the Caramilk bar, and break up pretzels into small pieces, then add into cottage cheese mixture. Stir to combine.
- Freeze: Transfer to any ceramic or glass container, seal with lid, and freeze for up to 6 hours.
- Thaw: I find it best to thaw for 15-30 minutes before serving.
Tips for Best Results
For the best cottage cheese ice cream recipe, follow these simple tips.
- Use higher fat cottage cheese: Whole milk cottage cheese has more fat and higher protein content which will give you a much creamier texture while increasing your protein intake. Low fat cottage cheese contains more water and both texture and taste may be different.
- Check the sodium content: Cottage cheese can be high in sodium, it differs from brand to brand, from 250 mg on an organic one, to 410 mg on regular brand.
- Plan ahead to thaw: For a smoother scoop you’ll want to let the ice cream thaw a bit on the counter, this will also remove any iciness from the frozen cottage cheese. Up to 30 minutes and how long depends on the temperature of your freezer.
- Leftover cottage cheese ice cream: I ended up with 6 tubs, so had to get creative! If your family isn’t into it or you have leftovers going old, make cottage cheese pancakes. Add 2 eggs and enough flour to bring to pancake consistency and pan fry.
- Chill instead of freezing: If you like a softer ice cream you can let it chill in the refrigerator rather than freezing completely.
- Add natural extracts: An easy way to enhance flavor is to add a few drops of almond extract, strawberry extract, peppermint extract, banana extract, or vanilla extract.
What’s great about cottage cheese ice cream is that you can add all your favorite flavors right into the blender, the container, or as toppings.
Here are some ideas to get your imagination going:
- Fruit: Top with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, mango, peaches, kiwi, or pitted cherries.
- Nuts: Any chopped nuts are great, and add plant-based protein! I like walnuts, pistachios, pecans, and almonds.
- Spices: Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg. Pumpkin pie spice would be delightful come Fall.
- Sauces and spreads: Make your high-protein dessert like a sundae with caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, and top with whip cream. Or add a swirl of almond butter.
- Breakfast: If you can’t convince yourself to have ice cream for breakfast, add a shot of espresso or instant coffee, or top with granola.
How to Store
Freeze: First time you freeze it, it will freeze less. For long term storage it will freeze more. Place a layer of plastic under the lid to discourage ice crystals from forming.
Thaw: Up to 30 minutes, especially with long or deep storage containers. You can also keep cottage cheese ice cream in the fridge for 2 hours to keep it chilled. This is great if you plan on serving within that time.
Yes! Cottage cheese and honey are good-for-you ingredients. There are many health benefits of cottage cheese, the highlight being high in protein. And there are no refined sugars or artificial preservatives because we use honey.
Keep in mind, depending what add-ins you include it could be less healthy, but life is about balance and moderation, I say.
Cottage cheese contains a good amount of water, so when it’s frozen the water also freezes. To keep it creamy, I recommend stirring it occasionally after placing it in the freezer.
It’s up to your personal preference. A full-fat cottage cheese will yield a more creamy ice cream. Organic Meadow is one of my favorite brands.
More Ice Cream Recipes to Try
More Cottage Cheese Recipes
- Cottage cheese egg bites
- Protein bagels
- Cottage cheese pasta
- Cottage cheese pizza crust
- Cottage cheese dip
- Cottage cheese protein pancakes
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add cottage cheese and honey. Process until smooth.
- Add flavorings of choice and pulse until combined, like with strawberries, banana, peanut butter, cacao powder or oreo cookies. Or just mix them in like chopped chocolate, pretzels or cookies.
- Transfer to an airtight glass container, close with the lid and freeze for 4-6 hours or until frozen.
- Allow to thaw for 15-30 minutes before scooping.