Want creamy coleslaw and not eat a cup of mayo? Try my easy Healthy Coleslaw recipe with Greek yogurt and store bought coleslaw for added convenience. It goes amazing with Instant Pot pulled pork!
Table of contents
Healthy coleslaw recipe made with store bought slaw and easy Greek yogurt dressing. Creamy, just a touch of mayo, simple, quick and delicious salad or side dish!
And if you slow cook a pot of healthy pulled pork, pulled BBQ chicken in crockpot or make pressure cooker bbq chicken, then top with this creamy coleslaw and serve on a fresh bun, everyone will love you even more. Trust me!
Is Coleslaw Healthy?
Yes, but it’s the dressing that gives coleslaw a bad rep. That is why I have chosen to use a mostly Greek yogurt slaw dressing to make this healthier.
On its own, cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable full of cancer fighting properties, vitamins K,C, B, fiber, potassium and folate. It’s a nutritional powerhouse, you just gotta “dress” it but not with a cup of mayo.
Now having said that, I do consider a tablespoon or two of organic mayo here and there healthy and this healthy coleslaw dressing is no exception.
Ingredients and Substitutions
This healthy coleslaw recipe uses fresh ingredients for a crunchy, colorful, and creamy salad with only a touch of mayo and no sugar.
- Bagged slaw or cabbage: For convenience, I use 1 lb bag of store bought slaw. You can also shred about 6 cups of green cabbage or purple cabbage.
- Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt with fat content of 2% or regular yogurt with 3.5% is best. This is to ensure expected creaminess. I tried using 0% yogurt and dressing was flat and chalky. You can even use homemade yogurt in Instant Pot.
- Dill or parsley (optional): Fresh herbs are absolutely optional and I add them only if they are in my veggie drawers. Fresh herbs take any dish to the next level.
- Mayo: Any mayo will work and is a must for that hint of creaminess. I use avocado oil mayonnaise.
- Salt and pepper: To season and taste.
How to Make Healthy Coleslaw
- Add all ingredients: In a large bowl, add coleslaw, dill (if using), Greek yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper. No need to whisk your easy healthy coleslaw dressing separately.
- Stir: Gently toss until combined, about 3-4 minutes. Usually tongs work the best!
- Chill: Refrigerate coleslaw salad for 5-30 minutes to allow flavours “to mingle”. Then toss again and serve.
I updated this recipe in December 2020 and there is full recipe card below, including old recipe.
Yes! Strips of colorful red bell pepper, peas, or even chopped celery. This is a great chance to use up vegetables in the refrigerator.
For additional ‘tang’ to the healthy coleslaw dressing add 1-2 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice, or for a sweeter touch add apple cider vinegar.
You could use a non dairy yogurt and vegan mayo but taste will change. And unless you can find a Greek non dairy yogurt dressing will be thinner in consistency.
Can This Be Made Ahead?
Add all ingredients to a bowl and do not stir. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Combine when ready to serve.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container for up to 2 days. Give it a stir before serving.
This healthy coleslaw recipe makes 6 servings as a side salad and about 12 pulled pork sandwiches. For a larger crowd at a potluck, buy bigger bag of cabbage and double the amount of coleslaw dressing.
Serve healthy coleslaw at your next BBQ or cookout with Instant Pot ribs recipe, salmon burgers or black bean burgers. For a more elegant dinner, pair creamy slaw with healthy crab cakes or grilled chicken breast on a warm summer night.
More Cabbage Recipes
Also check out all my healthy salad recipes in case you are hosting or are invited. Don’t fret.
Easy Healthy Coleslaw with Greek Yogurt
- In a large bowl, add coleslaw, dill (if using), yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper.
- Gently toss until combined. Refrigerate coleslaw salad for 5-30 minutes to allow flavours "to mingle". Then toss and serve.
- Serve as a salad or I highly recommend to make my healthy pulled pork and top with this healthy slaw. Yum!
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Make ahead: Add all ingredients to a bowl and do not stir. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Combine when ready to serve.
- Old recipe: I updated recipe in Dec 2020. If you like old no mayo coleslaw recipe, use for dressing: 3/4 cup whole plain yogurt, 2 tsp vinegar, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp maple syrup and 3/4 tsp salt.
- Yogurt: I tried using 0% yogurt and dressing was flat and chalky. You can use regular (not Greek) yogurt but make sure to use at least 3.5% then.
- Cabbage: Feel free to shred about 6 cups of green, purple or both cabbages using a mandoline. Or if you are skilled enough, a sharp chef’s knife. Can also grate medium carrot and throw it in.
- Dill or parsley (optional): Fresh herbs are absolutely optional and I add them only if they are in my veggie drawers. Just like with a beef stew or chicken and potatoes, fresh herbs take any dish to the next level.
- Sandwich: Instant Pot pulled pork with healthy coleslaw is a must sandwich idea for potlucks and picnics in the summer!