Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole is a fluffy souffle topped with delicious and crunchy candied pecan topping. Made from start to finish in your electric pressure cooker.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Ingredients for Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
- How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole in Instant Pot
- Can I Substitute Yams for Sweet Potatoes?
- Should I Bake It in the Oven?
- More Tips for Best Results
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store and Reheat
- Can I Make It Ahead of Time?
- More Sweet Potato Recipes to Try
- More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
A lot of sweet potato casseroles are finished with a marshmallow topping but we love the added crunch from the pecan streusel. It’s so delicious, it’s practically a dessert!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Saves the space: Your stove will have more space thanks to this Instant Pot recipe, it’s so convenient on a busy Thanksgiving day!
- Wash less dishes: The beauty of this casserole recipe is that everything cooks in Instant Pot. Everything! The sweet potato souffle, the topping and that’s all there is to it.
- Healthier: Help yourself to a big serving, this sweet potato casserole has no refined sugars. It’s naturally sweetened and perfectly creamy.
- Easy recipe: This simple side dish is made in one pot and ready in 30 minutes from start to finish! Baking is optional, see tips below.
- Delicious: Enjoy all the classic flavors in every bite! Deep sweet potato, lightly sweetened pecans, a touch of maple syrup, and warm spices.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
A small handful of everyday staples is all you need to make this Instant Pot sweet potato casserole recipe.
It may be a holiday favorite, but you can make this tasty side any time!
- Sweet potatoes: Choose fresh sweet potatoes that are firm with red, brown, or light skin and make sure there is no discoloration or root growing off of them.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter but you can swap with coconut oil, ghee, or vegan butter. If using salted butter I recommend decreasing the amount of extra salt.
- Whole milk: Helps make the mashed sweet potatoes creamy. I like whole milk but you can also use almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk from the carton, or any plant based milk for a dairy-free version.
- Maple syrup: Liquid sweetener is divided between the sweet potatoes and pecan topping. Pure maple syrup is best for flavor, honey can be used as well.
- Seasoning: Cinnamon, pure vanilla extract, salt, pepper, and dried rosemary.
- Pecans: You’ll need 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts.
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole in Instant Pot
Here’s a quick overview of how to make sweet potato casserole in Instant Pot using any electric pressure cooker, I used my 8 quart Instant Pot.
There is a full recipe card below with measurements and instructions.
- Toast pecans: Sauté nuts until fragrant, stirring occasionally. I have to say it takes about 7 minutes. Just like preheating Instant Pot after you press Sauté and until display says Hot takes 3-4 minutes.
- Make pecan topping: Add rosemary, maple syrup and stir until well coated. Transfer to a bowl and press Cancel button on your Instant Pot.
- Cook sweet potatoes: Add water, sweet potatoes, and salt. Liquid will not and should not cover the potatoes. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and then release pressure using Quick Release.
- Make sweet potato souffle: Drain sweet potatoes very well. Then add butter, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, pepper. Use a potato masher to mash until smooth.
- Assemble: Transfer sweet potato mixture to a square 8 x 8 baking dish, level with spatula and sprinkle with pecan topping.
Can I Substitute Yams for Sweet Potatoes?
Yes and no. People often get sweet potatoes and yams mixed up but they each have a different look and taste.
Red orange skinned sweet potatoes often are labeled “yams” at grocery stores in North America. Although yams are entirely different, they are rarely found in North American grocery stores.
Sweet potatoes have a smooth reddish-brown skin and their orange flesh is soft and sweet when cooked. True yams have a rougher dark brown skin comparable to tree bark, their flesh is a lighter beige and they are more dry and starchy like a regular potato with an earthy, neutral taste.
So use sweet potatoes only and more likely you won’t find true yams in a store near you, they are in specialty stores.
Should I Bake It in the Oven?
We enjoy this Instant Pot sweet potato casserole as is, that’s why I didn’t add an egg. The inside is fluffy and topping is crunchy. To me personally, baking this yam casserole for another 30 minutes defeats the purpose of making it in Instant Pot all together.
But you can. Just add an egg to the mixture and bake without topping for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Then add the topping.
More Tips for Best Results
- Use cold water: Cook potatoes in cold water. The potato starch reacts as soon as it touches warm or hot water which leads to uneven cooking.
- To add marshmallow topping: Are you team marshmallow? Add marshmallows with or without the pecans, you will have to bake it. After you’ve transferred the sweet potato mixture to the baking dish, add marshmallows on top and bake at 350 F for 20 – 30 minutes until melted and browned. Then sprinkle with pecans, if you like, and serve.
- Other nuts: You can substitute walnuts for pecans.
- Drain sweet potatoes well: Avoid a watery Instant Pot sweet potato casserole by draining the potatoes really well.
There are so many dinner and other side dish options that pair perfectly with sweet potatoes, a few of our favorites include:
- Boneless turkey breast roast
- Instant Pot turkey breast
- Healthy green bean casserole
- Apple sausage stuffed butternut squash
- Cauliflower stuffing
Enjoy and browse all my healthy Thanksgiving recipes for easy menu planning!
How to Store and Reheat
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a counter for 4-5 hours or in the fridge overnight.
Reheat: Warm up casserole in the oven at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Can I Make It Ahead of Time?
Yes, whenever there’s a chance to make a big meal less stressful I meal prep whatever I can.
Follow the sweet potato casserole recipe but don’t add topping. Refrigerate pecan-less casserole covered with plastic wrap, store candied pecans in a dry place. Then assemble and warm up in the oven before serving.
Any size of Instant Pot will work for this recipe. If you have a larger model you can easily double the recipe. This 3 quart Instant Pot is great, but you can also use your 5, 6, 8 or 10 quart.
A watery sweet potato casserole means the sweet potatoes weren’t drained well.
You can add an egg and bake the casserole uncovered for 20 minutes in preheated to 400 F degrees oven.
Yes, sweet potato casserole can thicken in the oven to a certain degree. If you bake it uncovered, it will firm up a bit. Also let it cool after baking to firm up for about 20 minutes.
More Sweet Potato Recipes to Try
- Sweet potato egg breakfast casserole
- Healthy oven roasted sweet potatoes
- Tex Mex sweet potato skillet
- Sweet potato and eggs
- Air fryer sweet potato fries
- Sweet potato pizza crust
- Sweet potato hummus
More Instant Pot Recipes
Browse more of healthy Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
- On Instant Pot, press Saute and wait until display says Hot (takes 4-5 minutes). Add pecans and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally (takes about 7 minutes).
- Add rosemary, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and stir until well coated. Transfer to a bowl and press Cancel on Instant Pot.
- Add water, sweet potatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Liquid should not cover the potatoes. Close the lid, move pressure valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual for 10 minutes.
- After cooking, release pressure immediately by turning pressure valve to Venting. Drain sweet potatoes very well.
- Add butter, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and mash until smooth.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture to square 8 x 8 baking dish, level with spatula and sprinkle with pecan topping.
- We enjoy it as is or you can add an egg to the mixture and bake without the topping for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Then add the topping.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a counter for 4-5 hours or in the fridge overnight. Warm up in the oven at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- Make Ahead: Refrigerate peeled and cubed potatoes in a bowl with cold water for up to 2 days. Cook as per recipe. Or prepare entire mash and refrigerate and store candied pecans in a dry place, then assemble and warm up in the oven.